I was lucky enough to find myself at one of Reagan’s events back in January of 2019, as a speaker on a panel about selling yourself as a “solopreneur.” First and foremost I was so impressed with how well organized the event was! Secondly, it was just such a welcoming experience that felt supportive of all levels of self-employment.
After witnessing Reagan in the moderator role for the event, I knew she would make an incredible podcast guest. In this episode we talk about everything from pursuing a career based on a set of talents and ambitions, learning through testing and adjusting at every stage, the importance of community, and why it’s paramount to have a mentor.
LOCAL TALKS in YOW
- a community for all entrepreneurs to learn and connect
- topics are based on what’s relevant to each community specifically
- Reagan shares her wildest ambitions for the industry
TESTING & ADJUSTING
- finding a rhythm of what works is a constant series of tests and adjustments
- you can always be learning when you’re busy making mistakes
- Reagan shares what has changed since the first few LocalTalks events, including a change in format that rendered better results
IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNITY
- the combination of learning and meeting people and why it leads to success
- so much can be learned from tapping into the minds of those who know more about something specific
- Reagan shares tips for getting into a community, including how volunteering can play a big role in your confidence and experience
- “You can give back, but you also have to give back to YOURSELF.”
OWNING YOUR TERMS
- re-defining the word “creative,” and encouraging others to use these terms fluidly as well
- using the term “success” when it can mean so many different things to different people
- what does success look like for you?
PROFITABILITY VS. FAME
- Reagan shares insight from “Tribes” by Seth Godin, about what it means to have true fans
- why community is more important to your profitability than fame
- the best conversations are happening on the outskirts of the room, take the ego out of the equation
- the distraction of comments and likes vs. customers and sales
Find out more about Reagan:
Episode 26 – Community Over Fame: Why Reagan Bradley Thinks You Need Less Fans and More Mentors
Call it a network, a clan, a tribe, a family, or a community — whichever term you use, Reagan Bradley is passionate about helping entrepreneurs find a way to connect with one another. I was lucky enough to sit on the panel at one of her LocalTalks events here in Ottawa, and got to experience the type of environment that Reagan works so hard to create: one that is welcoming, engaging, and inspirational.
If the term “networking” is a little intimidating for you, you need to hit play on this episode ASAP. Reagan shares some incredibly down to earth tips for making genuine connections in any room and finding mentors who can help to steer you down the right path when it comes to pursuing your dream career.